Please feel free to leave us comments. We like to hear what you are doing too :)

24 September, 2010

Food...a comparison

The other day, I was talking to my dad about food. He was asking about the price of various items.

I bought 1 kg of carrots for $.99. That's $.50/lb. If I remember correctly, I bought 1lb for $.99 in the States.

I have been getting the most delicious strawberries for $1.50-1.98/250g. That is 1/2 lb or 8 oz. The best deal I found for strawberries in the US was $1.99 for 1 lb but usually bought for $3.99/lb. So pretty comparable on price, but definitely NOT on taste. The strawberries here are so juicy and flavorful. And red all the way thru, not white and grainy like some of the strawberries I used to get. And it's winter...just imagine what they will be like in the summer!

Wanna know a cool thing about food shopping in AUS??? As milk nears it's expiry date, they discount it.

I picked up a litre of organic milk for $2. It still had several days left before it went "bad". While that price is comparable to organic milk in the US if you buy it in the gallon, I usually buy it in smaller quantities where it's more $$.

The other day I was at the store, and they had 1Ls of skim for $.49. FORTY-NINE CENTS! It expired the next day, so I didn't get any. I need to figure out recipes that I can make with lots of milk.

I unknowingly got unhomogenised milk. When I first poured Andrew a glass, it skeeved me with the globs on the top. Then I realised it wasn't homogenised. Now all I do is give the milk a little shake before I pour it.

I bought a 2L of Diet Coke for nearly $6. In the US, I would wait and stock up when the price went to $.99. A case of coke (12 cans) is $24. yes TWENTY-FOUR dollars for a case of coke!!! The bottles I buy at lunch are $3.90 for 600mL (20oz) and $3.20 for 450mL (12 oz). Granted it's at the convenient mart, so it'll be a little cheaper at the grocery store.

A candy bar....$2 (give or take).
Small bag of chips (grab bag size)... $2-3

Oh, and Crunchy Nut Flakes (bursting with nutritious value I'm sure ) was $8.95 a box, while the uber-delicious All Bran Honey Almond Flakes was only $4.95

My dad made the observation that the healthy food are cheaper (more reasonably priced) and the stuff that is bad for you is outrageously priced. It's like they are forcing me to eat healthy... of course I still have my Diet Coke habit!
pics from coles



No comments:

Post a Comment